Hanukkah Latkes

As an interfaith family, we get to enjoy so many wonderful traditions throughout the year! Latkes are one of my favorites; crispy, filling, golden goodness! I had never had them before I met my husband, so it was a fun challenge for me to create a recipe that lived up to his childhood memories. This year, I nailed it (if I do say so myself), and I am happy to share my recipe with you!




Hanukkah Lakes (not a Kosher recipe)

Ingredients:
Latkes:
4 cups frozen shredded potato
½ yellow onion, diced
1-2 eggs
1/4 cup flour
1 clove of garlic, minced
salt & pepper to taste
vegetable oil (for frying)

Toppings:
Cranberry Applesauce (recipe below)
Sour Cream
Horseradish
Green Onion

Directions:
Preheat oven 350°. Put 1/4" of oil into a large pan. Heat on medium while you prepare your ingredients.

Add the potatoes and diced onions into a food processor and pulse just 3-4 times. You are looking to break up the large pieces, but you still want there to be distinct texture (if you over process, you end up with mashed potatoes).

Pour this minced mixture into a large bowl and add the eggs one at a time, as you may only need one of them. The mixture should be similar to oatmeal - thick, and sticky, not soupy. Mix in the flour, garlic, salt and pepper.

Using a spring action ice cream scoop, portion out four latkes into your preheated oil, gently pressing down on the top of the mound to slightly flatten the scoop. Then LEAVE THEM ALONE for at least 60 seconds. This allows a nice crust to form, and helps prevent the lakes from breaking apart when it’s time to flip. Cook for 3-4 minutes, or until browned evenly on the bottom, and gently flip. Cook another 3-4 minutes.

Once each batch of four has cooked, transfer them to a cookie sheet or dish lined with paper towels and move to the oven.

Serve immediately with your choice of basically anything you like! My favorite way to enjoy latkes at Hanukkah is with some Cranberry Applesauce, sour cream and horseradish, but my husband love them “loaded” (and definitely not kosher) with cheese, bacon and sour cream! The sky is the limit!

Cranberry Applesauce
1/2 c Unsweetened Applesauce
2 Tbsp Jellied Cranberry Sauce

Mix together thoroughly to get rid of any lumps. 


No comments:

Post a Comment